Sunday, 12 May 2013

Doubting Me


Doubting I'll ever be a musical sensation or a world renowned brain surgeon is just being realistic but doubting myself in general is becoming a real problem. Before I became ill I was confident and enthusiastic about near enough everything I tried; now there's a constant tiny doubt living in the back of mind with an obsession with cheese on toast and a television turned up to max volume.

It's a constant distraction and it's effecting my writing. I doubt my basic writing skills, my imagination, my ability to create convincing characters and environments. I doubt my own voice. What if I'm not great? What if attempting to write another novel is like me trying to climb a mountain all by myself? What if I never see the view from the top?

Then I realised all that is irrelevant, that everything I do is good enough for me; that climbing a mountain doesn't happen overnight. I may not be the greatest writer ever born, of my generation or even of my fucking star sign but that's not what I want to be, I want to be the author of my own stories, be the creator of my own characters and worlds; even if they are considered contrived by some and my name is mentioned in the same sentence as the word "Hack".

It could be worse, one morning I could wake up and regret never trying because I was afraid I'd fail, that I never gave myself the chance to be great because I gave up.

Pronounce that for me 

Devon x

No comments:

Post a Comment